The correct breathing in cycling it is fundamental for the cyclist's well-being. In this sport a great effort is required by the cyclist, in order to graduate the amount of oxygen that reaches the lungs. Otherwise, the organism would begin to live and develop in a medium without oxygen. As a consequence, the process is drastically slowed down and the cyclist would lose knowledge.
Breathing in cycling Why is it important?
It is important to have good breathing to maintain self-control over the body. Even this detail is more important than having good control of the bicycle and good physical training. And it will be even more important in a resistance test where the energy must be dosed and the breathing fulfills a key factor.
For improve breathing in cycling, it is necessary a good training of this. If it does not, the opposite effect will occur and the cyclist will have difficulties control breathing. The truth is that, most cyclists focus on improving their physical condition, or increase the power in the pedaling. Very few take into account, important aspects such as breathing.
However, to gain strength and speed on the bike, it is not just with pedaling. Breathing correctly will improve the cyclist's performance. The following is clearly shown, the importance of train the breath:
- By having an optimal breathing on the bicycle, the cyclist can maintain an ideal posture of muscular balance. This has as a positive consequence, enhancing the coordination of respiratory movements with movements of the handlebar and pedals.
- The key to a good breathing in cycling, is to increase the efficiency of energy expenditure in the opening of the ribs. This allows the diaphragm to work without additional external stresses.
- By breathing properly and expanding the ribs, this involves a lot of energy. And it is of great importance because more than 20 main and secondary muscles come into play.
- The respiratory muscles originate in the ribs. These manage to act efficiently when there is stability in the spine. In this case, the goal is to keep the back stable.
What do you get when training your breath in cycling?
The breathing process consists of two different phases: inspiración (inhalación) and the expiration. During inhalation the diaphragm lowers and contracts and the muscles between the ribs contract and rise. And on the exhalation, the opposite phenomenon occurs to the inhalation and the air leaves the lungs. The thorax retracts and decreases all its diameters.
The athlete may improve breathing in cycling little by little through exercises. These will be very useful to face the cycling tests and the outings with the groups of friends. Therefore, the breathing in cycling must have a good training (on a regular basis and not occasionally). These should be thoracic and abdominal breathing and thus support the work of the diaphragm and reduce the effort that the thoracic musculature performs when breathing.
How should the breathing be trained?
The athlete wants breathe well on a bikeHowever, it is necessary to have a good training to be able to achieve it. The first step is to make a full inspiration through the mouth and nose at first. Then, you should inspire a little more and gain more space in the abdomen area.
In the first step it will be observed how the rib cage increases and in the second step how the abdominal volume increases. Therefore, when wanting to expel the air, the cyclist should try to start emptying the abdomen and then vary the rib cage.
It is recommended to perform 5 series of 10 respiratory cycles during training in one hour. As a result, the breathing in cycling It will gradually improve and will be noticeable in the cyclist's performance. By training with these simple steps, you can optimize the results. And the professional will have the ability to breathe in the rises, where more energy is required.
Breathing techniques in cycling
All cyclists have their own personal techniques to improve on one of their skills. However, breathing techniques They adapt to all athletes, and are the ones shown below:
- Abdominal breathing. For this technique the diaphragm is displaced but not the breast. To fulfill this purpose, the person is placed on the floor and placed on top of an object in the abdomen. And this should go down and up and the chest should be kept almost immobile.
- Breathing change side. In this case, cyclists can see that automatically, they always exhale when they hit the pedal with the same leg. It can be said that it is a fixed pattern. In this technique, this pattern will be changed. This causes a balance between both legs because the natural pattern will always force one leg more than the other.
- Exhale forcefully the air. This technique is compared to those who lift weights. Because when exhaling with force, the breathing in cycling and it will help to breathe naturally and correctly, automatically.
These techniques of cyclists, can also be called "forms of training." Therefore, the athlete should make this a habit and not a temporary practice. Only then will improvements be seen in the breathing in cycling.
More than 80% of cyclists have played down the importance of breathing in cycling. It must be remembered that, to win a competition, not only strength and speed are needed. All muscles can run out quickly if you do not get good breathing. That is to say, although the cyclist develops many skills, that does not guarantee his success when riding a bicycle.
First, you must train your breath. Thus you will obtain greater stability, a good control over the breathing and to conserve more energy on the bicycle. If you are a professional cyclist, do not forget the suggestions and recommendations that have been mentioned in this cycling article.